-
hey, i'm going to ask the same question again, since i really want to know... ;-)
can slide film be used as motion picture film? i know there's a difference in the negative stocks, where the motion picture stocks have the backing layer, but is there a difference between the reversal stocks as well? like in the lubrication, thickness or something? getting provia 400 in super8 would be awesome...
/matt
-
Hi, Mattias!
There is a slight difference in the shape and size of the perforations between motion picture stock and slide stock. That said, it makes more of a difference on 35mm pin registered cameras. I have successfully run slide film through an old Eyemo 35mm camera and seemed to work fine. However, experiments with a Mitchell proved unstable and the film wanted to jam. Otherwise, there is no problem with the thickness being slightly different. That's want the pressure plate is for; to keep the emmulsion snug against the gate. If anything, I would think slightly thicker film would provide more "friendly friction" and result in a more stable image than thinner film. I know running Eastmand stock in a ZC1000 Fujica worked beautifully.
Roger
-
Ah yes, the saga of the Velvia Super8... I must agree, it's awfully intimidating to have one of the most rare and prized rolls of Super8 film in existence, sitting there on your shelf, tempting you, but also daring you, demanding that you extract all the full possible glorious color from it while making sure to please the anxiously-awaiting world...
...and you don't have anything to shoot yet. Heck, I could just burn it on backyard footage, but the darn roll was near $40 so I've been waiting for something good to shoot. Something that would prove to be a worthy test. And it seems like that's pretty much what everyone else is doing too.
So, hey -- if someone's itching to shoot a roll of Velvia, contact me and I'll sell mine off. I'd rather see it go to a good home than for it to wait for me to get an appropriate outdoors shoot set up!
Oh, and about slide film in movie cameras? I just shot a roll of Fuji Provia 100 in my Konvas 35mm movie camera, came out perfect. (well, I think it did -- I haven't taken it to a theater to project it, but in my little Keystone Moviegraph it looks great!)
Roger's right, there is an ever-so-slight variation in perforation size/shape, but the Konvas and the Eyemo don't have a problem with it -- a registration-pin camera probably would. And of course, slide film loaded in Super8 cartridges should definitely work as long as processing is available. I think it's safe to say that Pro8mm could make Super8 cartridges out of just about any E-6 or K14 slide film.
I'm sure you could get Kodachrome 200 made also -- it's process K-14, so Dwayne's could process it. The problem is that it's such a fast daylight-balanced film, so you get extra speed when you don't need it (daylight) and you lose all that extra speed indoors (it becomes ASA50 under tungsten lighting) so unless you're using HMI's or Kino Flo's with daylight tubes, I don't see the big draw for K200...
The question about Provia 400 is similarly hindered by that film's daylight-balancing. Under tungsten lighting it delivers 125ASA, no faster than Ektachrome. At least Provia 400 is E-6 instead of K14 though.
One slightly interesting potential Super8 slide film might be Fuji's 64T -- at least it's tungsten-balanced so it will work in Super8 cameras and use the filter and such. It's a bit faster than K40. Of course, speed is not why I started the whole Velvia thing in the first place... I started the Velvia thing because I thought it would be very cool for us to get a new filmstock with an entirely different look -- super-saturated greens, even "plasticky" colors. Velvia can be surreal. Hmmm. Maybe I'll come up with something to shoot after all...
-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by blackangus1:
Ah yes, the saga of the Velvia Super8.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll come up with something to shoot after all...</font></font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey, Barry!
Shoot the damned roll, get it processed and I'll run it on the DV8 for free. I would be interested in seeing how it turns out. I'll post some pics for everyone to see.
Roger
(this is an edit)
Hmmm. That's odd. I can write "damned" but I can't write **** . I guess the Cursometer doesn't care if you're damned as long as you aren't in **** . [img]wink.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 31, 2002 06:16 PM: Message edited by: MovieStuff ]</font>
-
Hey guys,
I have one of the mysterious Velvia rolls that everyone is curious about. The film doesn't need to be processed all at once, nor do we have to wait a signifigant amount of time before we get the film back. The film is E-6 processing which is the same as Ektachrome 125 if I'm not mistaken. A very common process that involves no special steps for the guys at Pro 8mm. So your asking, "Are you ever going to shoot it?" Sure I am, but at such a rare opportunity to shoot Velvia in super 8 is too rare just to shoot my kid brother opening christmas presents or something dumb like that. I am saving it for a more serious project that hopefull will happen in the next month or so. If we talked to BlackAngus, the guy that initiated the Velvia deal with Pro 8mm, I'm sure if the interest is there that they would cut down some more custom stocks for us. To my understanding, they were not difficult to arrange splitting 35mm down to Super 8 as long as there was enough interest to pay for the cut-down and cartridges. I think that if we played our cards right, this could become a regular thing doing business with Pro8mm and selling the custom carts over the forum. Where's BlackAngus?
-
thanks roger and blackangus. i was actually only talking about cutting it down to super8, and i had no idea it actually ran in 35mm motion picture cameras despite the holes being different. pretty cool.
> The question about Provia 400 is similarly hindered by that film's daylight-balancing.
that's true, but i recently saw some provia "behind the scenes" slides shot in tungsten light with half blue gels, which steal less than a stop, and it looked really good. mixed lighting works fine too, as in indoor with some light from the windows. for some reason some fuji stocks seem to handle such situations better than kodak's. might have something to do with the somewhat desaturated look?
/matt
-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MovieStuff:
Hey, Barry!
Shoot the damned roll, get it processed and I'll run it on the DV8 for free. I would be interested in seeing how it turns out. I'll post some pics for everyone to see.
Roger
]</font></font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Alright! So, Rog, does that apply to my roll of the Provia as well??? Maybe this sorta incentive will get me going. Just have to find the time...
-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by chas_ucla:
Alright! So, Rog, does that apply to my roll of the Provia as well??? Maybe this sorta incentive will get me going. Just have to find the time...</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gentlemen, start your engines!
The FIRST 50 foot roll of Provia that gets here is transferred for free. Send a tape and return postage.
Roger
-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MovieStuff:
Gentlemen, start your engines!
The FIRST 50 foot roll of Provia that gets here is transferred for free. Send a tape and return postage.
Roger</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
More than fair! I'm going to try and get something done Saturday -- but the quarter just started and I may have tons of Photoshop/Illustrator work...
But, like Black Angus said, you don't want to rush this special roll...I mean, how often do you get a chance to shoot it?
-
I really want to see what the Velvia looks like too.
On the subject of pushing Ektachrome, I shot some inside the tunnels at a dam (anyone who's seen Lost Tribes, it's the stuff at the end of the movie with the guys running around the tunnels).
About 1/2 of it was Ektachrome 160 pushed a stop.
Looks like **** . The grain actually isn't much worse than what Ektachrome 160 is anyway, but the colors are just wacked out, and it's even weirder looking than Ektachrome 160 usually looks!
Matt Pacini